Products of Animal Origin
Tees Port is not currently approved for the import of Products of Animal Origin (POAO) from outside the EU, otherwise known as third countries. Any imports will be rejected at the border and you will be required to re-export for entry through an approved Border Control Post (BCP). A list of UK BCP’s approved to import POAO from third countries can be found at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-border-control-posts-animal-and-animal-product-imports
POAO imports from 1 April 2021
From 1 April 2021, POAO imports through Tees Port must be:
- accompanied by a health certificate so they can have remote documentary checks
- pre-notified by the importer using IPAFFS
A fee will need to be paid for each documentary screening check.
POAO imports from 1 July 2021
All POAOs and certain Animal By Products (ABPs) must enter GB at an established point of entry with an appropriate BCP from 1 July 2021.
Check if your product must be imported through a point of entry with an appropriate BCP by looking for the CN code for your product in:
Certain ABP goods must:
- be accompanied by a health certificate if available – if there is no health certificate for your commodity, contact APHA as goods may be able to travel under licence and a commercial document
- be pre-notified by the importer using IPAFFS
- enter at an established point of entry with an appropriate BCP so they’re available for documentary, identity and physical checks
Please visit https://www.gov.uk/guidance/importing-or-moving-live-animals-animal-products-and-high-risk-food-and-feed-not-of-animal-origin for up to date information on importing POAO into the UK.