Header Image

Food Premises Registration

Registration Summary

To store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises within the River Tees Port Health Authority boundary, you need to be registered with River Tees Port Health Authority. Premises include restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans and food delivery vans.

Some manufacturers handling products of animal origin may need to be approved by River Tees Port Health Authority, rather than registered. If you are uncertain whether your business needs to be approved or registered, contact us using the contact details below.

Regulation Summary

The regulation relating to the registration of food premises is Commission Regulation (EC) No 852/2004

Will Tacit Consent Apply

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us within 21 days.


There are no fees associated with this registration.

How to Apply

You can either download an application form and submit it electronically or apply online.

We aim to acknowledge your application within three working days. If you have applied electronically or online we will acknowledge your application via email.

Apply on line

Details on how to apply online will follow shortly as there are currently changes being made to the online application system.

Download an application form

Please download the application form below and return it to us using the contact details below.

Food Premises Registration Form

Failed Application Redress

Please contact us in the first instance using the contact details below.

License Holder Redress

Please contact us in the first instance using the contact details below.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint, the first contact is made with the trader by you – preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located within the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Trade Associations

Chilled Food Association
National Federation of Meat and Food Traders

Further Information

Food Standards Agency


Food business registers are available to view, by prior arrangement, at the Port Health Offices. Please contact us for further details.

Contact Details

River Tees Port Health Authority
Belmont House
Rectory Lane
TS14 7FD

Tel: 01287 612406

Email: [email protected]


Food Premises Registration Form


Annual meeting agenda 07/06/19
Board meeting agenda 01/03/2019
Risk Management Strategy 2019 – 2020
Service Plan 2019
Sampling Policy 2019
Enforcement Policy 2019
MOU 2019
Constitution 2019
Notice of exercise of rights accounts 2018 – 2019
The River Tees Port Health Authority Order 2016